Happy Trails

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Travel Tip Tuesday: Carry a copy of important documents

When recently traveling from Oahu to Kauai, my husband dropped his driver's license on the airplane.  Luckily, the airport was able to locate it and return the license to him a few days later.

The outcome of this debacle could have been much worse.  Regardless, my husband finally admitted that what he previously had thought as my being a travel lunatic was rather quite brilliant.

I always carry a full color copy of both of our drivers licenses, passports, and the front/back of our credit cards.

I carry this in an inconspicuous location separated from our wallets.  Many a travel horror story ends with a stolen or lost wallet or passport.  If you have no way to identify yourself, especially outside of the United States, it could be a nightmare.  It'd be way easier to have the American Embassy issue you an emergency passport if you had evidence of your existence.

We also take a different wallet traveling than we carry at home.  Take only what you need, know what you are carrying with you, and split up your assets.  You shouldn't have one person carry all of the cash, and my husband and I carry different credit cards in case one doesn't work.

Hopefully you'll never need to worry about this, but better safe than sorry.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my ramblings. I appreciate you!